Unified Intellectual Development Actions
District Goal: To create compassionate learning communities with inclusive instructional practice allowing access to grade level curriculum for all students through our Ensouling our Schools Initiative.
The Langley School District’s overarching actions are intended to improve access to learning for every student, with particular emphasis on our students of Aboriginal descent, students with diverse abilities and our Children and Youth in Care. Ensouling our Schools is a 3-block model of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) that focuses on inclusivity, sense of belonging, Social Emotional Learning, Response to Intervention, First Peoples Principles of Learning, Trauma Informed Practice, evidence-based instruction and sound assessment practices.
- Implement Langley’s Teaching and Learning Framework in all classrooms and school.
This guiding document is based on evidence-based instructional practice and has been created through the lens of our District Vision and Mission and our Aboriginal Education Enhancement Agreement.
- Engage administrators with the Teaching and Learning Framework.
- Provide activities/strategies for Administrators to facilitate with staff.
- Implement a teacher growth plan pilot aligned to the Framework.
- Explore the Framework with Mentors and Mentees in the Mentorship Program.
- Implement Universal Design for Learning strategies in all schools as outlined in the District’s Universal Strategies Guidebook.
This document was created to provide specific strategies to reach all learners to ensure we are designing learning opportunities in a way that provides access to grade level curriculum for all students.
- Engage administrators with the Universal Strategies Guidebook.
- Embed and model UDL strategies in work/professional development with teachers.
- Continue professional learning sessions for teachers with Shelley Moore.
- Implement strategies from Ensouling Our Schools with Jennifer Katz in schools.
- Purchase Solution Tree’s Global Pro D licenses for all administrators and teacher leaders as a resource to use in professional learning sessions.
- Implement Response to Intervention (RTI) systems and structures in all schools.
- Provide professional development to school teams (Mike Mattos, Karen Power, Anthony Muhammed, Jennifer Katz, Kevin Lamoureux).
- Provide Train the Trainer in RTI for Administrators to support schools.
- Support implementation of RTI in schools through Administrator trainers.
- Ensure School Action Plans for Learning are of high quality and in alignment with the Framework for Enhancing Student Learning.
- Implement Standards-Based Assessment in all schools and align this practice to our Communicating Student Learning (CSL) model.
- Provide ongoing guidance, support, and professional learning to School Implementation Teams in secondary schools (District Teachers, Katie White, Tom Schimmer).
- Provide ongoing professional learning to CSL Leads in elementary and middle schools.